From Gender and Tech Resources
I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it. ~ Terry Pratchett 
- Three different sizes of envelopes (such that the smallest fits the medium-size and medium-size fits the largest envelope). The envelopes need either be of different colour or feature coloured dots for easy observation. Add a message to a small envelope, the small envelope is placed in a medium size envelope, and that one in a large size envelope.
- Opaque containers (bags or cardboard boxes).
- Colored ropes.
Enough people willing to play the parts
- a network of at least 12 people holding boxes as mixnodes. People can be source and destination.
- 3 extra destinations (services on servers).
- Depending on what situation you are translating, a few people are playing ISP observers (those infamous black boxes placed at ISP's). For example, for creating a situation like in Egypt, have one ISP (that is directly talking to government).
- Some people playing governments
- Everybody not in one of the above roles can be observers, of which some report to governments.
_____________ +---------+ _____________ _____________ _____________ _____________ | | +----------+ /| | | +----------+ | | | | | | | | +----------+ /|__/ | | | +----------+ /| | | +----------+ | | | | | | |\ /|__/ |_\__| | | |\ /|__/ | | | |\ /| | | | | |___________| | \______/ |_\__| |___________| | \______/ |_\__| |___________| | \______/ | |___________| |___________| _|_____|_ |__/____\__| _|_____|_ |__/____\__| _|_____|_ |__/____\__| _|_____|_ _|_____|_ / ******* \ ............................ / ******* \ ....................... / ******* \ .................. / ******* \ ................ / ******* \ / ********* \ / ********* \ / ********* \ / ********* \ / ********* \ --------------- --------------- --------------- --------------- ---------------
See concepts of mix networks: As a getting started mixnet scenario you can use:
- A few people make messages (message in smallest envelope, smallest envelope in medium sized envelope, and that one in the largest envelope) and place them in mixnodes (at random).
- When having three messages in their box mix nodes remove one envelope for each message and distributed each message to a new mix node. If a mix node sees the final recipient of a message that message is forwarded to its destination.
Just have people send messages back and forth at different times to get the network in a "running state" with a clear "baseline" of observations.
Now ask the observers to focus on three senders to determine who gets whose message. And what else seems noteworthy. Play with mixnet parameters and scenarios.
- Set up a simulated Tor network. Use colored ropes to represent circuits.
- Change routes (for the sake of the simulation every 3 minutes)
- Have Cathy send Heathcliff a message. Can people in the room see that it was Cathy who passed a message to Heathcliff?
- What if there are multiple messages being passed, can we still see?
- What if a country creates their own national internet and we set up Tor in this country? What if (policing or intelligence agencies) of countries share what they see?
The challenge: build a simulation for understanding I2P.
- Users Get Routed: Traffic Correlation on Tor By Realistic Adversaries http://www.nrl.navy.mil/itd/chacs/sites/www.nrl.navy.mil.itd.chacs/files/pdfs/13-1231-2077.pdf
- Sleeping dogs lie on a bed of onions but wake when mixed https://www.petsymposium.org/2011/papers/hotpets11-final10Syverson.pdf
- Stakeout: how the FBI tracked and busted a Chicago Anon http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/03/stakeout-how-the-fbi-tracked-and-busted-a-chicago-anon/2/
- How the NSA identifies Tor users in 6 easy steps http://www.dailydot.com/politics/six-steps-nsa-attack-tor/
Cutting off and national internets
- The 61 Countries a Mad Despot Could Instantly Unplug From the Internet http://www.wired.com/2012/12/internet_plug/
- How Do You Shut Down the Internet in a Whole Country? http://www.livescience.com/32965-how-do-you-shut-down-the-internet-whole-country.html
- Here Comes the National Internet http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398527,00.asp
- Invisible Internet Project (I2P) https://geti2p.net/_static/pdf/i2p_philosophy.pdf
- Reddit DoctorWhumour http://www.reddit.com/r/DoctorWhumour/
- Terry Pratchett https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1654.Terry_Pratchett