Uncluttering your mind
From Gender and Tech Resources
All of us live with inner rules about how to live our lives. Some of those come from our imagemakers (parents, family), some from our teachers, our (school) friends, and later experiences.
Rewrite your rules
Beliefs and rules can act like post hypnotic suggestions (spell casting) and filter our experience of reality. Some indigenous call those "pretender voices", like:
- "I don't think I can ...."
- "I must make others happy"
- "It doesn't matter ..."
- "You can't make me ..."
- "It's not fair ..."
- "I'm a [label] if I ..."
- "What now?"
- "It's [label] fault!"
Alter wording the spell you are apparently casting on yourself:
- State your rule
- Choose the most significant verb or noun in your rule
- Choose at least two words that rhyme with that word
- Choose a word that's opposite
- Choose a freely associated word that has nothing whatsoever to do with the words in your rule
- Restate the original rule, substituting the new words and read the rules out loud to yourself
- How is that old rule doing?